NORTH SALEM, N.Y. – Jane Beltz, owner of North Salem’s Union Hall General Store, is requesting a variance to expand the store's services at Thursday's Zoning Board of Appeals meeting.
“Right now, we’re a retail store,” Beltz said. “It’s been a retail space for the last 50 years. But I’d like it to be more of a coffeehouse. I’ve been giving coffee away, but a variance would allow us to brew and sell it. We could also grind coffee beans and sell freshly ground coffee.”
In addition, Beltz would like permission to sell packaged wine and beer.
Other public hearings on Thursday's agenda include:
- The Farmer & the Fish is requesting an area variance to expand an existing nonconforming parking area within the required front yard.
- A Hawley Road resident is asking for a permit to construct an accessory apartment in a secondary structure on the property.
- Monomoy Farm on Peach Lake Road is seeking a special permit to keep up to 20 horses, construct 10 additional stalls and maintain a commercial boarding operation.
- Hilltop Stables on Hilltop Drive wants a variance to increase the height of fences, erect lighted piers and install a gate and deer fences. A front yard variance is also requested to install a generator.
- A stable on Turkey Hill Road is requesting a special permit to keep up to 10 horses and maintain a commercial boarding operation.
- A Delancey Road property owner is requesting special permits to operate a commercial boarding operation; to erect an 18-stall barn, an indoor riding ring and a manure dumpster pad; and to construct an accessory apartment above a garage. A variance to decrease the minimum required acreage and increase the maximum building coverage to operate a commercial stable is also requested.
The North Salem Zoning Board of Appeals meets at 7:30 p.m. on the second Thursday of every month in the Town Annex, 274 Titicus Road, North Salem. All meetings are open to the public.