If you need to throw together a fast but delicious summer dish, here is one that calls for just a few staples and perhaps a quick stop at the market. It is a big hit with guests and family as well, even those who are leery of vegetables.
BRUSSELS PASTA12 oz. fresh Brussels sprouts2 tbs butter2 tbs olive oil3 tbs pine nuts (keep a package in the freezer, they always come in handy)½ tsp saltpepper½ lb long pasta, such as fettucine or linguine
1. Wash and trim the sprouts and run them through the slicer of a food processor. In the absence of a food processor, slice and chop them into slivers.
2. In a large frying pan, heat the butter and olive oil together, add the pine nuts and saute until golden -- just a minute or two. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the sprouts and the salt and sauté over medium heat, stirring, until sprouts are lightly brown -- about 4 or 5 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper.
4. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water. Allow two minutes less cooking time than package instructions.
5. Drain pasta, reserving at least 1 cup of the pasta water.
6. Add pasta to sprouts in frying pan, heat together while stirring and add enough of the reserved pasta water to moisten the dish.
7. Mix in reserved pine nuts, or dish out pasta and sprinkle each serving with pine nuts.
8. Serve with parmesan cheese on the side.
Do you have a recipe for a quick summer dish? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us on Facebook.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.