NORTH SALEM, N.Y. – The Community YMCA of Northern Westchester based in Somers, organized a group of 15 volunteers to paint some classrooms at North Salem’s YMCA Learning Center.
The volunteers provided their services Saturday in honor of Martin Luther King, whose commemorative day on Monday is celebrated in many communities as “A Day of Service.”
“This event and [the work of] these wonderful volunteers allows us to upgrade our child-care programs and to be able to continue to offer scholarships and assistance to anyone who needs our help,” said Maire Brosnan Katavolos, YMCA executive director
The paint was donated by Larry Coleman, Sr. who responded to a YMCA plea on behalf of his employer, AkzoNobel Surface Chemistry of Brewster, N.Y.
The Northern Westchester YMCA cares for more than 800 children every year in toddler, pre-school and after-school programs.
- 1 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Stepson Of Schools Superintendent
- 2 State Police Charge Pair In Route 35 DWI Checkpoint
- 3 Man In Custody After Assaulting Trooper, Leading To Two-State Chase
- 4 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 5 Severe Storms Could Cause Flooding In North Salem