NORTH SALEM, N.Y. – The Community YMCA of Northern Westchester based in Somers, organized a group of 15 volunteers to paint some classrooms at North Salem’s YMCA Learning Center.
The volunteers provided their services Saturday in honor of Martin Luther King, whose commemorative day on Monday is celebrated in many communities as “A Day of Service.”
“This event and [the work of] these wonderful volunteers allows us to upgrade our child-care programs and to be able to continue to offer scholarships and assistance to anyone who needs our help,” said Maire Brosnan Katavolos, YMCA executive director
The paint was donated by Larry Coleman, Sr. who responded to a YMCA plea on behalf of his employer, AkzoNobel Surface Chemistry of Brewster, N.Y.
The Northern Westchester YMCA cares for more than 800 children every year in toddler, pre-school and after-school programs.
- 1 5-Year-Old Boy Subject Of NY Amber Alert Is Found Dead
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In North Salem
- 3 Arrest Of 'Bicycle Bandit' Ends Rash Of 15 Robberies In Westchester
- 4 Probability Of A White Christmas Is Low In North Salem
- 5 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Removed From McDonald's Menu In Westchester