NORTH SALEM, N.Y. - The Office of Emergency Management announced that the Volunteer Ambulance Corps building at 14 Daniel Rd. will be open as a shelter beginning at 3 p.m. Saturday.
The shelter will stay open indefinitely. The generator at the building can run for up to 10 days.
Bring food to the shelter and if you are on medication, remember to bring along a full supply.
People are reminded that if help or information is needed, they should call (914) 669-5464. Do not call 911 unless you are dealing with a real emergency.
NYSEG advises that its crews and support personnel are on heightened alert to deal with any repair that is needed.
The company makes the following suggestions:
If you use life-sustaining equipment that operates on electricity, contact NYSEG immediately at 1-800-572-1111.
Stay away from downed power lines. Even lines that appear dead can be harmful. To report a power interruption, a downed power line or other hazardous situations call 1-800-572-1131.
For natural gas emergencies and to report suspected natural gas odors, NYSEG customers should call 1-800-572-1121.
Emergency generators can be dangerous. Make sure you understand and follow the manufacturers instructions. Never run emergency generators indoors. They must be used outdoors only, in well-ventilated areas and away from windows and doors.
Do not go into flooded basements. Energized wiring or outlets below the water line can be hazardous. Natural gas service in a flooded basement can also be dangerous. In case of a flooded basement or a home in danger of flooding, contact your utility company to turn off electricity and/or natural gas service.
In case of a power failure, unplug major appliances such as refrigerators and freezers, TVs, DVD players and computers to prevent overloading and possible damage when power is restored.
Do not use outdoor grills inside.
Do not use natural gas or a propane range to heat your home.
Most food will last 24 hours if you keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible.
After power is restored:
If your basement or home has been flooded, have it checked by an electrician or plumber if you use gas before contacting NYSEG to have the power turned on again.
Turn appliances and electronics on one at a time to avoid overloading.
Replenish emergency supplies used during the storm.
Check back here for updates on Hurricane Irene.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.