CROSS RIVER, N.Y. -- Charles George, who owns The Bedford Sportsman, a fishing gear shop in Cross River, called the death of a fisherman who fell into the Croton Falls Reservoir a "tragic accident."
The fisherman has been identified as John Scales, a 73-year-old Manhattan resident. He was fishing with Joe Gay, Jr., also a Manhattan resident, and they both fell into the reservoir on Tuesday, Aug. 19, according to an official with New York City's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Police and firefighters from several departments were in the vicinity of the reservoir, which straddles the Southeast and Carmel borders in Putnam.
Justin Gould, a Mount Kisco resident who was among those at the store on Thursday afternoon, said it was "sad" to hear. He also said that it was scary to know it could happen to anyone.
- 1 Obamas Could Be Bound For Westchester After Presidency, Report Says
- 2 Fatal Crash On Route 22 Under Investigation
- 3 Serious Two-Vehicle Crash Results In Route 22 Closure
- 4 Westchester DA Issues Alert About Sexual Predators Posing As Others
- 5 Fiancée Angelika Graswald Charged With Hudson River Murder Of Kayaker