CROSS RIVER, N.Y. -- Charles George, who owns The Bedford Sportsman, a fishing gear shop in Cross River, called the death of a fisherman who fell into the Croton Falls Reservoir a "tragic accident."
The fisherman has been identified as John Scales, a 73-year-old Manhattan resident. He was fishing with Joe Gay, Jr., also a Manhattan resident, and they both fell into the reservoir on Tuesday, Aug. 19, according to an official with New York City's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Police and firefighters from several departments were in the vicinity of the reservoir, which straddles the Southeast and Carmel borders in Putnam.
Justin Gould, a Mount Kisco resident who was among those at the store on Thursday afternoon, said it was "sad" to hear. He also said that it was scary to know it could happen to anyone.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Purchase New Bedford Home
- 2 North Salem's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Man Charged In Brewster Assault Used Brick As Weapon, Police Say
- 4 Property Revaluation Is In Store For North Salem
- 5 Superstorm Sandy Was Not The 'Big One,' So North Salem Must Prepare