MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. -- Speaking after Mount Kisco's Memorial Day service on Friday, Rep. Nita Lowey was supportive of the resignation of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki.
“I was very pleased,” she said.
Lowey, whose congressional district stretches across Westchester County, is the top Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee, which has oversight of the VA. Her district also includes a VA hospital in Montrose. She also recalled having several hearings and closed meetings with Shinseki, with backlog an issue included.
Shinseki's resignation came following the release of an inspector general's interim report - it is available here - concerning schedule and wait time manipulation.
“As soon as that interim report came out, I called for him stepping down,” she said.
Lowey also called the matter the “most outrageous situation I have seen."
Lowey cited a lack of leadership ability to deal with the allegations as a reason why she wanted Shinseki to resign.
The controversy and report have been major news stories recently, with stories including several public figures calling for Shinseski's resignation.
- 1 North Salem Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 2 Police Issue 75 Tickets In Distracted Driving Detail On I-684
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For North Salem
- 4 Netscape Co-Founder ID'd As Buyer Of Ron Howard Estate On Armonk Border
- 5 North Salem Could See Light Snow Through Thursday Morning