Update at 10:30 a.m.: An earlier version of this story reported that toiletries and food would be available at the emergency shelter on Daniel Road. The shelter is open to residents at this time but services are limited.
NORTH SALEM, N.Y. – As Hurricane Sandy heads for the Northeast, here is some up-to-the-minute information about emergency procedures in North Salem:
Town of North Salem
- The Volunteer Ambulance Corps building at 19 Daniel Road, North Salem, will act as a shelter in case of power outages.
- Showers will be available at the Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
- If NYSEG delivers dry ice, it will be distributed at the Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
- If the need for potable water arises, it will be distributed at the Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
- In case of emergency, dial 911. For nonemergency problems or assistance, call 914-669-5464 or 914-669-KING.
- Stay away from downed power lines. To report downed power lines or other hazardous conditions, call 800-572-1131.
- For electricity emergencies and to report power interruptions, call 800-572-1131.
- Operate emergency generators only according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Never run them indoors or in a garage. Operate only outdoors in well-ventilated areas, away from windows and doors.
- If you use electrically powered life-sustaining equipment call 800-572-1111 to register in the critical customer program.
- Keep flashlights handy. Keep extra batteries on hand for all battery-operated equipment.
- Remember to fully charge all cell phones, iPads, iPods and other electronic equipment before the storm hits.
- Turn off major appliances to avoid overloading when power returns.
- Stay out of flooded basements under an electrician can be summoned.
Local Wi-Fi Spots
- North Salem Volunteer Ambulance Corps, 19 Daniel Road, North Salem
- Starbucks, 90 Danbury Road, Ridgefield, Conn.
- Starbucks, 132 Federal Road, Danbury, Conn.
Stay with The North Salem Daily Voice for updates on Hurricane Sandy.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.