MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. -- Dr. Harlan Weinberg, medical director of pulmonary medicine and critical care services at Northern Westchester Hospital, shares advice on how to avoid the flu.
According to Dr. Weinberg, people with asthma and other clinical conditions are at increased risk of developing flu-related complications. His advice: Take steps to avoid the flu.
Recommendations for asthma patients include the following:
1. Yearly Influenza/Flu Vaccine: The “FluMist” Nasal Spray Vaccine should not be used.
2. Pneumococcal Vaccine
3. Stay at home if sick and avoid contact with sick people
4. Cover your cough
5. Hand washing
6. Antiviral medications such as Oseltamivir (Tamiflu), prescribed by physician if indicated
7. Asthma action plan to appropriately care for breathing problems
For more information and additional resources, visit the NWH blog here.
Visit nwhc.net to learn more.
- 1 Snow Could Be Returning To North Salem
- 2 Father Charged After Incident With Varsity Lacrosse Coach At Mahopac HS
- 3 Multi-Vehicle Accident Reported Near Route 138 In Goldens Bridge
- 4 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show
- 5 Police Warn Residents To Be On Lookout For Bear In Yorktown