NORTH SALEM, N.Y. A cyclist on Titicus River Road was thrown off his bicycle last week when a full can of soda was tossed at him from a passing school bus, North Salem police said. The can barely missed the mans head but did cause him to lose control of the bike.
Following information provided by the cyclist after the incident on Monday, Oct. 1, Police Officer Michael Castellano located the bus at Pequenakonck Elementary School, where it had delivered students from the Somers school district for a soccer game.
Neither the bus driver nor the soccer coach was able to identify the person who threw the can. North Salem police notified the Somers school district of the incident.
The following items also were reported by North Salem police:
Car Impounded: A 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser with more than $500 in unpaid parking fines was impounded Wednesday, Oct. 3, by a traffic enforcement officer assisted by Police Officer Silvio Ruvolo. Before having the car towed to the impound yard, police examined it for damage and found it to have paint scratches on the left rear fender and bumper. The car was taken away by Joes Towing Service. The New York State police will follow up.
Suspicious Car: Officer Dennis Cullen noticed a suspicious car parked along Route 22 near Hillside Avenue in Croton Falls on Thursday afternoon, Oct. 4. Its lights were on, its windshield wipers working, and the car was running, but there appeared to be no driver. Upon closer inspection, Cullen found a woman asleep in the passenger seat. After checking to make sure there were no warrants out against the vehicle or its owner, Cullen awakened the woman. She explained that her boyfriend, the cars owner, was fishing in the nearby stream. She had fallen asleep while waiting for him. The fisherman returned to the vehicle and the car left without incident.
Alarm Sounds: A resident of Lakeside Drive called police when her carbon monoxide alarm sounded on Monday morning, Oct. 8. She was waiting in the street when Officer Ralph Argiento arrived and reported that she was not feeling ill. The Croton Falls Volunteer Fire Department also responded and checked the location for hazards. The firefighters found nothing awry and suggested that the alarm may have sounded because of faulty batteries.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.