I went to the Journal News and now know which of my neighbors has a license. I don't know whether this is good or bad. What this doesn't tell us is who owns a gun who doesn't have a license. View Comment
To hell with international comparisons. We should be satisfied with 15% of the population mastering elementary algebra and then using that to learn something more advanced. We should be satisfied if 75 of the remaining 85% master positive rational number computation and know how to use it. We should be unsatisfied if they don't. Measurement of mastery is tough. A single test isn't adequate. View Comment
I was a teacher in the Mount Vernon School System when Mr. Ross was superintendent. I know nothing about the other candidates for Greenburgh 7 superintendent. At Mt. Vernon, Dr. Ross was great at making presentations and at hiring high-priced colleagues at the board of ed. Nevertheless the high school and the middle schools were deemed by New York state to be schools in need of improvement. Let's watch what happens. View Comment
We need to close Westchester County Airport (it was built for the upper 1%, for whom Feiner and Cuomo have contempt anyway), build a state of the art nuclear power plant on that site, and THEN close Indain Point. View Comment
I like the name you chose.
Do you think that there is value in a parent choosing his or her child's teacher or teachers for the following academic year? If parents talk to one another, then good teachers will probably be selected, parents might come to schools to see teachers in action, and poorer teachers will wind up teaching the children of parents who don't care. If a district needs to eliminate teachers, it will be an easier, and more just, selection. Do you agree? View Comment
The good news is that teachers will be observed more often. (When I retired tenured teachers were observed once per year, non-tenured three times.) The bad news is that peer review can turn into a lot of patting one another on the back, where nothing critical is said of a colleague. I believe that observations by parents should be part of the formula. We need more parents in classrooms. View Comment
Children in other countries are learning better than our children because they and their parents are hungrier that we are. Indolence is one of the major causes of our stagnation. I have no issue with people from other countries succeeding in order to achieve one-half of our standard of living. View Comment