A family of three are temporarily homeless following a chimney fire that ripped through the two-story home in Milan.
The fire started around 3 p.m. Sunday, at 123 Shookville Road, said Jeffrey Galm, second assistant chief for the Milan Fire Department.
Chief Kurt Mizgier was first to arrive on the scene and found flames through an exterior wall and roof, Galm said.
The family -- mother, father, child and a cat, -- had evacuated safely before the department arrived.
A second alarm was dispatched bringing about 45 firefighters from Red Hook, Rhinebeck, and Livingston fire departments.
The fire was contained to the upstairs bedrooms, attic, and roof. The rest of the home received water damage and is no longer habitable, Galm said.
The family is receiving assistance from the Red Cross.
The fire was ruled "not suspicious," Galm said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.